Sunday, September 26, 2010

Week 2- Digital Literacy Skills

The Reflection of the Week:

    This week, we had a nice debate about whether internet is useful or not, which provided different thoughts from different perfectives regarding virtual world. The classes divided into three groups to debate and they talked about the advantages and disadvantages of web. I think the thoughts of Clay Shirky impact on me.Let me share some points what I like from this class.
    Clay Shirky says we should spend our time by using internet to help and support humanity instead of sitting in front of the television and watching advertisements more than 100 million hours. Shirky also says the internet revolution has just only begun. I agree with his idea. My reason to be agree with him comes from historical and sociological events. If we look at the history, first we will see people lived alone. After than people needed to be live together to help and support each other and they founded villages, cities, countries and civilizations. Internet is also kind a world, virtual world. People will use more this virtual world to help and support each other with feels come from human nature. Curiosity of people also will be a driving force to make people engage in the activities of virtual worlds. (Please read the example of the week.) However, we should be aware of that internet can bring good or bad things depend on how and what purposes we use internet. I think everybody heart some criminal and illegal activities on the web.

The example of the Week: 

Last night, I was in group 3, (Clay Shirky).  I just want to share some examples that Shirky gives in his talk to illustrate the benefits of social network, which made me surprised. He talks about the earthquake occurred in China in 2009.
Did you know The BBC got their first news of the earthquake from Twitter?
Did you know Twitter announced the existence of the earthquake before the US Geological Survey for anybody to read?
Did you know within half a day donations sites were created and huge donations were made from around the world?
The quote of the Week:   
  
    Clark points out how internet makes people organize by sayingThe power of organizing without organizations.” People gathering for some purposes, for instance to support a candidate in elections, on the web are able to use internet effectively and make a significant change. I   think internet is going to be the biggest organization in the world.

The picture of the Week:

















This graphic represents the 21st century learning skills including four types of literacy, life and career skills, learning and innovation skills, information, media, and technology skills, core subject and 21 st century themes. It seems to me that we are going to learn  in real life more than in classroom in 21 st century.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Cesur,

    I agree with you that Clay Shirky seems to have the strongest argument regarding the role of the Internet. However, I think he kind of neglect or disregard the need of information skills to create competent Internet users who can contribute useful contents.

    I like the quote you have for week, but I am not sure if it is accurate. I feel it is overstating the role of the Internet.

    Finally, the graph you have is excellent choice. I think these kind of models could help develop useful educational plans, especially in developing countries, to compete in the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete