Sunday, September 26, 2010

Week -3 The Sudden Explosion of E-Books and E-Book Readers


The reflection of the Week

   I want to start the reflection of this week by asking a question myself “Am I an e-reader?” My answer for the question is “No I am not”. I think I am a traditional reader maybe because of the fact that I was born in 80s. However, I would like to use a kindle while travelling to save more places in my bag and time, carry digital books easily and read them.
   The story has begun thousands and thousands years ago. In time, we used leathers, leafs, papyrus, stones, papers to write and read books and now digital devices have been created.  It is obvious that you may not have to depend on libraries, time or place with having a kindle and we can think we are more flexible and free. On the other hand, if you use a kindle, you have to consider the batteries of devices, different formats of e-books, limited availability of e-books, various software and hardware for e-books, etc… Do you still think you are so flexible and free? I think only things that we depend on change and we will continue to depend on different objects. 

The example of the Week
   We had two quest speakers in this week. One of them was Priya Nihalani, director of Research at GYLO. They created an application, Statistic 1, that has been converted into an Apple so that students have a chance to see simulations, graphics, and pictures on the screen of apple. She also stated this device with statistic 1 made the students motivated more and then succeed.

The quote of the Week
 “Reading on the Kindle is easy in bed, in direct sunlight, and on public transit—I can hang on to a subway strap with one hand and click the "next page" button with the other. The Kindle is much lighter than hardcover books and makes packing for vacation more pleasurable.” Alice E. Marwick, doctoral candidate in media, culture, and communication, New York University. I think she explains the advantages of a kindle very well
 The Picture of the Week
















I created a picture to demonstrate how books evolute in time and I want to ask what is the next after digital devices. I hope you like the picture.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cesur,

    Nice picture. But don't you think that paper books dominated the market more than any other media. Sometimes I wonder, when and for how long electronic publishing dominate the market? and what other kinds of new media will be created?
    I would expect very soon to hear about ebooks with multimedia contents and animations.

    For a while now, I've been thinking about getting either IPAD or Kindle, but then I think maybe after I finish my study because most of my current readings are related to my work for school.

    Best,

    ReplyDelete