Sunday, October 24, 2010

Week 7 Connectivism

The Reflectiion of The Week

   In the week seven, we discussed connectivism, social knowledge and participatory learning. If we compare our current world to the world one hundred years ago, we can figure out how our world is getting smaller. Now it easy to reach or go somewhere or something   I mean technology makes people live in a global village not a planet. People are in interaction and connection in this small World, which makes people, cultures, countries, etc. affect each other.
   Existing and being crated technology that accelerates and facilitates the communication in the world enable students or learners influence their learning styles, approaches, ideas and time. We discussed whether or not connectivism is a learning theory like behaviorism, cognitivism and constructivism. For me, connectivism works with constructivism well because it focuses on a network that provides personal contribution and network. Also, Connectivism refers to learners who are in interaction and communication shares the ideas, opinions, products and more. However, I don't think so that connectivism is a learning theory. In my opinion, connectivism is like a vehicle that facilitates leaning, creates dynamic learning environment, encourage and enable students to participate and engage in learning activities. Thus, I think connectivism is an excellent way that may be able to make students motivated.
   I was a teacher and I certainly say that motivation is one of the key factors in student learning. Motivated students can be more successful and I think connectivism can provides and increase student motivation. For example, helping and supporting each other in groups which are in contacts can make students increase the persistence and of motivation of learning. Furthermore, a variety of ideas provided in connectivism may enable student creativity and makes them motivated and involved in new projects.  

The example of the Week:

The Dropbox Company is an excellent example of connectivism, which is a website that provides people put their works and shares each other it. Last spring, in the course, R541, we used the dropbox in order to store, share, and download the files of my classmates. It gave me many opportunities, for instance, the application of one of my classmates deeply influenced me to think on my project and create dynamic tools for my project. The link is www.dropbox.com

The quote of the Week:

I would like to share some idioms that I think they are related to the benefits of connectivism.
Four eyes are better than two.
Two heads are better than one.
Many hands make light work.





The Picture of the Week:



Do you think it seems too much complicated?



(Source:http://pls109bcoce.wikispaces.com/Pro+connectivism)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Cesur,

    My understanding is that learning in connectivism is related to the size of the social network an individual have. The bigger the network, the more interaction a person can have with others. I agree with you that connectivism can play an important role in motivating students, but I am sure if this motivation is for learning or being popular.

    I think in this age in which technology is playing a huge role in changing the whole world into the small village, connectivism seems to make sense. Almost any individual can reach any other individual with few clicks in their computer. Yet, I am not sure if connectivism by itself assure participation, collaboration, and interaction.

    I also think, based on the picture you have, that it might be to difficult to navigate in the network when it reaches a certain size.

    Best,
    Hesham

    ReplyDelete