Sunday, October 24, 2010

Week 8. Wikis, Wikipedia, Wikibooks, and Collaborative Writing

The Reflection of the Week:
  Week 8 was the week of the wikis in our course, the world is open with Web 2.0 Technologies.  We had a chance to listen four presentations about wikis. One of them was about how wikis use in business settings. Especially, I liked the presentation presented by Dr.Bonk and Chun-yu lin the most, which is about Teaching Innovations on Wikis:  Practices and Perspectives of Elementary School Teachers.

   I think the presentation clearly indicates wikis are really useful for students learning and instructor teaching in education. Wikis are really useful to create learning environments by providing chapters, editing each other parts, making comments on their ideas and more. Wikis enable students make critical thinking on what they create. Furthermore, wikis help students not only construct their knowledge but also have social activities with the other members.

   I also recognized that motivation is important to create wikis. For example, the studies presented in this week show that students were excited to get a certification for creating a wiki and this certification encourage them to continue to create new wikis. Also, the middle school students were happy to see and share their own wikis so that wikis encourage them to keep working on wikis.

The example of the Week:

Wikipedia and Wikibooks are the most famous wikis. I think all internet users know Wikipedia, which allows users to create, edit, update contents and share them in public domain.  Wikibooks provides users to create free textbooks that anyone can edit.
 
The Quote of the Week:

I think this quote clearly defines wikis. “A wiki is a collaborative web site that collects and organizes content, created and revised by its users” (The eLearning Coach, 2009)

The Picture of the Week

I wanted to post a video instead of a picture about wikis.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Cesure,

    While I missed the first part of this week's lecture because I had to take my children to school, I was able to watch the whole think in iStream. My favorite lecture was the first which was presented by Dr. Bonk. It provided nice introduction about wikis and the wikibook which was created for this class. Also, for my final project, I choose to participate in that project.

    For me, wikis are favorite Web 2.0 tools. I used in the past for group projects, and just like it was explained in the video you included, it was very useful to facilitate the interaction and collaboration between the group members. We used it for brainstorming, communication, and file storage.

    I look forward to the experience of participating in authoring a wiki book

    Best,
    Hesham

    ReplyDelete